Sunday, December 2, 2007

Amazing!

I had a chance this past week to watch some of the second year students perform on patients who have advanced periodontal disease. I can't believe that from one year from now, I'll be doing exactly what they are doing. It was amazing to see them use the ultrasonic tool as well as the other manual tools. Well, I was more amazed to see lots of blood gushing out and splattering everywhere (and don't worry, they don't feel a thing because local anesthesia is given). I just wasn't expecting so much blood because I have never experienced that while working on any of my peers. I felt unprotected with just my mask and glasses because these students were wearing face shields over their masks and goggles (my teacher didn't warn us about how much splatter there was going to be).
I wasn't really bothered by the blood at all, but just shocked at how much these people bleed. What I am bothered by is giving anesthesia. I did not get a chance to see any of the students performing an injection. I hate needles and am scared of them. I don't know when I'll be taking this course either, but I will to get it over with.

1 comment:

m said...

[it] Questo รจ il mio penny per i tuoi pensieri :)
Saluti dall'Italia.

[en] This is my penny for your thoughts :)
Salutes from Italy.